Recipe for Bruschetta with roasted capsicum pesto and mixed tomatoes
Soft and sweet ox heart and heirloom tomatoes on a crunchy base of white sourdough that has a roasted sweet green capsicum pesto and fresh cheese. Enjoy this flavour packed bruschetta with multi textured layers as an appetiser during this festive season! You can make the capsicum pesto a few days in advance, just keep in a jar in the fridge.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Makes: 1 large platter of bruschetta
2 x green capsicums
2 x large garlic cloves (keep skin on)
2/3 cup x pine nuts
1 bunch of fresh basil (leaves separated and stems removed, keep a few small leaves aside for serving)
1 tbsp of vinegar (red or white wine vinegar)
1 cup x heirloom tomatoes or cherry tomatoes
3 x ox heart tomatoes
1 packet of goats chevre or other soft white cheese
1 x white sourdough loaf
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Prepare a baking tray with baking paper.
2. To prepare the capsicums, rinse them then slice in half, deseed and remove the stem. Slice the capsicums into quarters. Place on the baking tray along with the 2 garlic cloves. Drizzle olive oil over and sprinkle with salt. Roast in the oven for 30 minutes.
3. Once the capsicums are ready, remove the tray from the oven and transfer the capsicums into a food processor. Peel the skin off the cooked garlic and add the garlic to the food processor along with the fresh basil, the pine nuts, the vinegar and the olive oil. Process until well combined, taste the seasoning and add any extra salt. Process again then set aside.
4. Slice the bread into thin slices and place over oven racks or trays. Brush with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Bake until golden brown and crispy.
5. Slice the ox heart tomatoes and halve or slice the heirloom tomatoes and season with salt.
6. Once the bread is ready, remove from the oven and place onto a large serving platter or board. Spread equal amounts the capsicum pesto onto each slice, top with the cheese and the tomatoes. Drizzle with olive oil and add a few small basil leaves. Serve as full slices or cut each bruschetta in half.
Created for Harris Farm Markets