I cannot believe I have only recently discovered galettes. They are amazing! So easy and quick to make, and you can fill them up with anything – savoury or sweet! Also, I’ve looked around and there are so many options for the pastry, which is fantastic! Here I’ve used 2 flours, both a mixture of buckwheat and wholemeal spelt (because thats what I had), but I think you could easily make a gluten free combination or use any other flour. I’ll have another go with some other alternative flours and let you know. For now, the recipe below is what I’ve created!
1 cup Buckwheat Flour
1 cup Wholemeal spelt Flour
1 tbsp Water
4 tbsp Butter
1/4 cup Milk (Your preference of dairy or non dairy)
Extra egg for brushing the galette
3-4 cups of blueberries (can use fresh or frozen)
Coconut sugar to sprinkle on top
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Start by making the pastry – place all of the ingredients (excluding the coconut sugar and blueberries) in a blender and blend until mixed well. If it seems too dry, add a bit more milk and butter.
- Place a large piece of baking paper on the bench and lightly flour the surface.
- Place the dough mixture in a rough ball onto the baking paper and start rolling out the pastry evenly until you have a rough large circular/square shape. It needs to be long and wide enough so that you can then fill the centre part with the blueberries- can be rough , slice off any rough looking edges.
- Place blueberries in the centre and spread out evenly leaving abut 10 cm from the edges
- Starting with one corner, fold pastry over in a fold over pattern.
- Brush the pastry with the extra egg so that your galette turns out a nice golden brown colour. Sprinkle with coconut sugar.
- Bake in 180 degrees until crust is a golden brown – This will take approximately 45 minutes, however keep an eye on it incase your oven is hotter than normal!
Enjoy and let me know how you go!
Photography by Shane Van Laar and Anastasia Zolotarev