Recipe: Green Mango Salad
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 2 minutes (including 40 seconds blanch time for the beans)
4 x green mangoes
3 x carrots
2 x large bunches of green beans
2 x stems of shallots (green and white part)
3 x long sprigs of mint
3 x long sprigs of basil (Thai basil or normal basil)
3 x long green chilies (roughly chopped)
3 x limes (zest of 2 and juice of 3)
1 x clove of garlic (crushed or finely diced)
¼ cup x palm sugar (crumbled into smaller pieces)
4 x tbsp fish sauce
3 x tbsp oil (olive, peanut, avocado, or other vegetable oil)
pinch of salt
- To blanch the green beans, prepare a pot that is filled with water ¾ full then bring to the boil. Whilst the water is heating up, cut off the ends of the beans. Once boiling place the beans into the water and blanch for 40 seconds. Using small kitchens tongs remove the beans from the water and into a bowl filled with cold water. Place into the fridge.
- Prepare the carrots by peeling then cutting them into matchsticks, prepare the shallots by removing the ends then roughly chopping both the green and white parts. Set aside. Remove the green beans from the fridge and slice into smaller pieces. Remove the herbs from the stems.
- Peel the skin off the green mangoes by using a kitchen peeler then cut into fine matchsticks or julienne either by using a mandolin to finely slice ribbons of the green mango and then finely slice with a sharp knife, or use a sharp knife to directly cut into matchsticks. Place the green mango into a large mixing salad bowl (discard the centre of each mango).
- To make the dressing place the lime juice, lime zest, garlic, palm sugar, fish sauce and oil and pinch of salt into a mortar and pestle or a small bowl and combine the ingredients until the sugar has dissolved and is mixed through well in the dressing. Add the green chilies. Set aside.
- Add the carrots, green beans, shallots, mint and basil into the bowl with the green mango. Pour the dressing over the salad and mix through the dressing and ingredients until combined and the dressing is coating the salad. Serve with your choice of main dish such as chicken or pork and enjoy!