This mango chutney is a homemade version and it’s so SO good! No sugar, because the mangoes are so sweet, so why add more sweetness? I’ve use apple cider vinegar and lots of toasted spices and freshly grated ginger. You will love this chutney! I’ve been having it with chicken, cheddar cheese and crackers, and homemade curries. I made a few jars of this which are no finished but I do have so many mangoes at home again which I need to use up so I will make more of this chutney and store it away. So anyone who wants a jar…let me know 🙂 or make your own.
Mango chutney and with chicken skewers
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour
Serves: 2-3 (makes 6 chicken skewers)
– This recipe makes 4 jars of mango chutney
4 x kp mangoes (approximately 1 kg of peeled and diced mango)
5 x cardamom pods (crushed and skin removed)
1 x tsp turmeric powder
½ tsp chilli powder
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp coriander seeds
1 x cup of apple cider vinegar
1 x heaped tbsp. of freshly grated ginger
2 x tsp nigella seeds
1 x large garlic clove (crushed and finely chopped)
1 x tbsp. salt
1 x tsp turmeric powder
1 x tsp cumin powder
1 x tsp of coriander powder
1 x tsp of salt
¼ cup olive oil/melted butter or ghee
2 x chicken breasts (1 packet)
wooden or metal skewers
1 x cucumber
1 x cup of yoghurt
1 x red onion
- For the mango chutney toast the cardamom, cumin seeds, coriander seeds in a small fry pan then remove and crush in a mortar and pestle.
- Transfer the toasted spices into a medium sized pot, add the turmeric powder, chilli powder, apple cider vinegar, grated ginger, and garlic. Bring to the boil. Reduce to a simmer and add the diced mango, the nigella seeds and salt. Cook with a closed lid for 30 minutes. Remove the lid and cook for a further 15 minutes. Make sure to check the chutney throughout so that the base does not burn – adjust the heat if necessary. Once cooked, set aside and transfer into sterilized glass jars.
- For the chicken skewers, add the turmeric, cumin, coriander, oil and salt and mix with a fork until a paste is formed. Dice the chicken breast into small sized pieces and place into the bowl with the spice paste. Coat the diced chicken with this paste then transfer the chicken pieces onto the skewers (approximately 4-5 pieces of diced chicken pieces for each skewer).
- Prepare a large hot grill or fry pan. Add some oil then place the skewers on to cook each side, until caramelized and golden (a few minutes on each side, turning the skewers carefully).
- For the cucumber raita, slice with a knife or use a mandolin to cut the cucumber thinly crossways. Add to the yoghurt and mix through.
- Slice the raw onion.
- Serve the chicken skewers with the mango chutney, the cucumber raita and the raw onion. Add some rice and naan bread or just a fresh salad for a complete meal.