Recipe for plum almond meal muffins
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 25-30 minutes
Makes: 12-14 muffins
3 cups almond meal
2 ½ cups spelt flour (white spelt flour, plain flour or other)
200g butter (diced into smaller pieces)
1 cup brown sugar or light muscavado sugar
4 x eggs
2 cups milk (full fat milk)
1 x tsp baking powder
1 x tsp apple cider vinegar
10-12 x variety of plums sliced into wedges (ripe, sweet and sour plums) (seeds removed)
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
- Using your hands mix the flour and butter in a large bowl until a crumb like consistency (or process together in a food processor). Add the almond meal, the sugar and combine altogether.
- In a separate bowl add the milk, eggs, baking powder and vinegar. Whisk together until the mixture is combined.
- Add the plums into the flour mixture (saving enough to top the muffins with later) then add the milk and egg mixture. Use a wooden spoon or spatula to combine the mixture.
- Place paper muffin/baking cups into a muffin tin then fill each cup with approximately a heaped tablespoon and a half or more of the mixture. Top each muffin mixture with an extra wedge or two of the plums.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Use large baking cups and fill them to the top (as per picture), if using smaller cups you will find the recipe makes more muffins
- Keep the plums cut in wedges as this will create a nice whole texture to the plums and retain extra juice and syrup