Miso & eggplant is a flavour combination that is unreal! I could say it’s my recent obsession having miso and eggplant together. In this dish the roasted eggplant & miso becomes caramelised and that just takes this simple recipe to pure deliciousness (Simplicity at its best!). You can add a little bit of honey if you like for extra sweetness, and keep it in the oven even longer if you like it more dark and roasted.
Serving: Side for 4 people
1/2 cup Sweet Shiro Miso (I use the brand Meru Miso – it comes in a jar and its a chunky miso)
2 large sized eggplants or 4 long thin eggplants – sliced in half longways
3 tbsp Tamari Sauce
1 tsp Honey
1 tbsp Sesame seeds
2 tbsp Macadamia Oil
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Brush the eggplant with the oil and place on a roasting tray.
- In a bowl, mix together the miso, tamari sauce and honey.
- Use a spoon to spread the mixture over the eggplants. I find that no additional salt is needed as the miso and tamari have a very strong saltiness already.
- Roast in the oven for 30 minutes – longer if your eggplant is larger. You may need to cover the tray with foil if its starts to become too dark.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with sesame seeds. I also had some broadbean leaves so placed a few leaves around.