This week i’m bringing you a pumpkin recipe that’s simple and great to have as a side or as part of a main dish! We are still finishing our pumpkins that we grew this year in our garden and this is just one way in which I love to eat pumpkin. This makes a lot of pumpkin wedges since I used a whole pumpkin, but feel free to just halve the recipe if you like. I do love having a fridge full of something like this as it’s just easy to store in a container and add to different salads and other dishes. For example tonight i’ll be having a few of these wedges with some sort of cooked grain (rice or quinoa) and some sautéed leafy greens and pickles. You can also serve this as a side for when you do a Sunday roast, or slice into even smaller pieces and toss through your preferred pasta and a bit of lemon juice. You can remove the skin after you’ve roasted it if you like!). If you like, you can also add slightly toasted sunflower or pumpkin seeds to the topping (I just didn’t have any but they are delicious with pumpkin!).
Recipe for Roasted pumpkin with garlic & turmeric marinade + dill, mint and red onion and persian feta topping
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
1 x pumpkin (medium size)
1/2 tsp turmeric
4 cloves of garlic
1/4 cup olive oil + more
1 x red onion
1 large bunch of fresh dill
1 bunch of fresh mint
150g persian feta (plain and without any oil marinade OR use any other soft white cheese)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Line a large baking tray with paper.
- Slice the pumpkin in half and then slice each half into approximately even sized wedges. Transfer the pumpkin wedges onto the baking tray then drizzle with olive oil over the top and season well with salt. Place the tray into the oven for 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile prepare the turmeric and garlic marinade. Crush the garlic finely and place it into a jar, add the turmeric along with the 1/4 cup of olive oil. Combine it altogether thoroughly. After the pumpkin has been cooking for 40 minutes, remove the tray from the oven and use a kitchen brush or spoon to coat the surface of the pumpkin wedges in the turmeric garlic marinade. Transfer the tray of pumpkin wedges back into the oven and cook for a further 10 minutes approximately. Cook the pumpkin for longer if you would like extra crisp edges.
- Dice the onion and crumble the persian feta if you would like (or keep whole and serve on the side).
- Once the pumpkin is ready, transfer the wedges onto serving plate, use a spoon to scoop the leftover marinade in the tray and drizzle it over the pumpkin. Top with the onion, herbs and cheese.